Developed by the CIRAD's Biomass, Wood, Energy, Bioproducts Research Unit (BioWooEB), the 7th release of Tropix software introduces new features and includes new properties compared to Tropix 6 (2008 edition). The user interface has been totally redesigned, providing to the user a more friendly environment.
Tropix 7 features
For each species, Tropix 7 provides data and information on:
- Scientific names and common names of the species, their origins (illustrated by maps of geographic distribution) and any trade restrictions (listed under a CITES Appendix).
- Characteristics of logs; appearance, color and macroscopic structure of wood (illustrated with photographs of wood and examples of use).
- Main physical and mechanical properties (average values, dispersion).
- Resistance of wood to biological agents of deterioration (fungi, termites, dry wood borers); impregnability; use classifications; any conditions for preservative treatment according to the conditions of use.
- Drying behaviour (drying table provided as a rough guide).
- Behaviour of wood during sawing and machining, aptitude for peeling or slicing, held assemblies.
- Commercial grades: appearance grading of sawn timbers (according to the existing rules) and visual grading for structural applications.
- Main actual or potential uses; reaction to fire (according to French standards and European standardization).
- Summary comparison tables of the main technological characteristics (physico-mechanical properties, parameters of physical and biological stability).
Tropix also allows multicriteria searching of species using preselected search terms, or by similarity to a different species.
The technical descriptions of the species can be printed, as well as lists of species matching the selected parameters of a multicriteria searching.
Tropix software is registered under the following international unique identifier: IDDN.FR.001.070032.002.S.P.2002.000.30615