Developed by the CIRAD's Biomass, Wood, Energy, Bioproducts
Research Unit (BioWooEB), Tropix 7 identifies the main technological characteristics of 245 tropical and temperate forest species.
The technical data sheets of the species are still available free of charge.
Our Atlas des Bois Tropicaux was published in French in late 2016, its translation is in progress.
You'll find in it all the data present in Tropix and more! It will be available in paper format but also in digital version (epub end PDF) on Google Play, iTunes, Amazon Kindle, Kobo and many more.
Tropix 7 is now identified by the following DOI: doi:10.18167/74726F706978
You can refer to it if you want to cite Tropix in your scientific work. Various citation formats are available on the DataCite website .
Tropix 7 features
For each species, Tropix 7 provides data and information on:
- Scientific names and common names of the species, their origins (illustrated by maps of geographic distribution) and any trade restrictions (listed under a CITES Appendix).
- Characteristics of logs; appearance, color and macroscopic structure of wood, illustrated with photographs of wood and examples of use.
- Main physical and mechanical properties (average values and standard deviation).
- Resistance of wood to biological agents of deterioration (fungi, termites, dry wood borers); impregnability; use classifications; any conditions for preservative treatment according to the conditions of use.
- Drying behaviour (drying table provided as a rough guide).
- Behaviour of wood during sawing and machining, aptitude for peeling or slicing, held assemblies.
- Commercial grades: appearance grading of sawn timbers (according to the existing rules) and visual grading for structural applications.
- Main actual or potential uses; reaction to fire (according to French standards and European standardization).
- Summary comparison tables of the main technological characteristics (physico-mechanical properties, parameters of physical and biological stability).
Tropix also allows multi-criteria searches of species using preselected search terms, or by similarity to another species.
The technical datasheets of the species can be printed, as well as lists of species matching searching results.
Finally, a tab allows to visualize the correlations between physical and mechanical properties for one or all of the species at a glance!
|Version||7.5.1 (May 2015)|
|Requirements||Windows XP to Windows 10|
Data sheets are available for free. Distribution is prohibited without express consent from BioWooEB team.
Tropix software is registered under the following international unique identifier: IDDN.FR.001.070032.002.S.P.2002. 000.30615